REF Headlines for Sub-Panel 27: English Language and Literature
UE has co-signed the REF_English Studies_headlines report. The report attests to the robust health of the discipline in the UK, highlighting the transformational contribution being made by colleagues at every stage of career to knowledge, culture, well-being, and economic prosperity, locally, nationally, and globally, in units of all types and sizes.
Action against cuts at Portsmouth
UE Chair Alex Thompson, Jenny Richards (for the EA) and Clare Lees (for IES) have co-authored and signed a letter to the VC of the University of Portsmouth in light of their decision to press ahead with cuts despite the presentation of a very impressive alternative business case by the programme team.
University English and the English Association’s joint response to Plan S.
The Good Practice Guide for Employing Temporary Staff in English (agreed at the April 2018 AGM).
Professor Shearer West’s presentation on open access monographs given at the 2017 AGM.
University English’s consultation response for REF2021
Our statements on Brexit are currently to be found on the News section of the website.
Christopher Newfield’s paper The Limits of the Numerical – Metrics and the Humanities in Higher Education
University English’s response to BIS’ Green Paper ‘Fulfilling our Potential: Teaching Excellence, Social Mobility and Student Choice’
University English’s response to the AHRC DTP2 Consultation
University English’s A Level Creative Writing submission sent to AQA CREW Stakeholder feedback
The English Association’s Higher Education Committee comments on the results of REF 2014
Ofqual Review of A Level specification in Creating Writing
Professor Susan Bruce as Chair of University English wrote to Ofqual in April 2015 to express profound consternation that the new AL specification in Creating Writing is under review, and thus at risk of withdrawal.
‘Creative Writing, at HE level, is an increasingly important player in a suite of Humanities disciplines which train our young people in the arts of communication and persuasion. We urge you not to do anything to jeopardize the health of this relatively new, but also very valuable, discipline, but instead to ensure that it is nurtured and encouraged through the provision of demanding A Level routes into the subject.’
Open Access Publishing and REF
CCUE’s response to the latest HEFCE consultation (October 2013) on Open Access requirements for post-2014 REF exercises can be downloaded here.
The joint submission of CCUE and the English Association to the House of Lords Select Committee on Science and Technology inquiry into Open Access publishing, February 2013, can be downloaded here.
CCUE’s response to the Department for Education’s 2013 consultation on the subject content of the new English A levels can be downloaded here. A text of the English Association’s response, co-signed by CCUE, to the exam regulator Ofqual’s 2012 consultation on A Level reform can be downloaded here. The consultation document can be found at http://comment.ofqual.gov.uk/a-level-reform/
The response of the Common English Forum, of which CCUE is part, to the Department for Education’s 2013 consultation on Reform of the National Curriculum in England can be downloaded here.
The response of the Common English Forum to the DfE’s 2012 consultation on proposed changes to Key Stage 4 can be downloaded here.
CCUE’s response to the AHRC consultation on its draft strategy plan for 2013-18 can be downloaded here. The draft plan can be viewed at www.ahrc.ac.uk/News-and-Events/Publications/Documents/Strat-Plan-Draft-v1.pdf
A text of CCUE’s response to the Government’s consultation on its 2011 White Paper, ‘Higher Education: Students at the Heart of the System’, can be downloaded here.
- CCUE letter to David Willetts, Minister for Universities and Science, 2010
- ‘Defending the Undefendable’ (John Tusa, address to OGM, 2010)
- ‘English and the Future of the Humanities’ (Patricia Waugh, position paper, 2010)
- Response to REF Consultation on Draft Assessment Criteria and Working Methods 2011
- Response to REF Consultation, December 2009
- Response to AHRC Future Directions Consultation
- Response to ERIH lists in Literature and Linguistics, 2008
- Response to HEFCE REF Consultation
- Response to AHRC Postgraduate Funding Consultation 2006
- Response to the DfES Consultation on ‘Reform of higher education research assessment and funding’
- Response to the ERIH consultation: April 2006
- Response to Review of Subject Benchmark Statements 2005
- Response to RAE Panels Configuration March 2004
- Response to AHRC Working Group on Doctoral Research
- Response to English sub-panel RAE draft criteria
- Response to the White Paper on Higher Education, 2003
- Response to Research Assessment Review, November 2002
- Response to AHRB Postgraduate Review 2002
- Response to BA Postgraduate Review 2000
- Response to Consultation on Research Libraries Support Programme 1999